Unstoppable Foundation (UF) is seeking an entrepreneurial, bottom-line driven Director of Development
to lead our fundraising department.
As we implement our Development program expansion, we’re looking for a professional leader with a stellar asset-generation track record, preferably with experience in both the corporate and nonprofit arenas.
Budget Responsibilities: The Director of Development is responsible for securing a minimum $5M to cover the organization’s operations and programs. In addition, UF has adopted an ambitious Strategic Development Plan that outlines an aggressive strategy to grow the organization’s budget significantly by 2020.
Fundraising Expertise: On the individual giving front, we’re seeking a seasoned leader who understands Major Gifts’ cultivation and best practices, including assisting with the build out of several governance entities. For annual fund giving, a new strategic approach to boost re-occurring gifts is paramount. We welcome new ideas and a background in managing direct mail houses and creating innovative digital marketing campaigns.
In terms of fundraising events, UF will be celebrating our 10-year Anniversary in 2018 and launching a major event initiative to build upon our annual Gala. The Director will oversee the event management consultants and event fundraising and sponsorship strategy.
To date, the organization has little institutional funding. As such, we’re looking to establish relationships with foundations, while developing a pipeline of new corporate partnerships.
Team Building: The Director of Development will be responsible for all areas of development, overseeing a staff of two: a Partnership Relationship Manager, managing all corporate outreach and Gala sponsorship and table sales, as well as a Development Associate, to assist with donor research and database maintenance. As the operating budget increases, the Director of Development will be able to build a team of development professionals and consultants in the areas of grant writing, direct mail and online marketing.
With the chance to build an in-house team and a hearty appetite for asset growth, this is a rare opportunity for an individual to spearhead an ambitious growth plan for an expanding organization. We are seeking a powerful candidate of the highest level of professionalism, leadership and experience to take the reins and creating lasting change for UF.
You have a Team Ethos. As a senior leader within the organization, you’ll spearhead our organizational ethos by working closely with other members of the senior management team and throughout the organization.
You are Fundraising Pro. You’ll be responsible to develop a metrics-driven strategy for your portfolio and to motivate your team to collectively strive towards a goal of $5 million dollars in 2018.
You’re an Innovator. You’ll come up with innovative ways to show donors the return on their investment. You’ll surprise and delight them with creative ways to show our appreciation. You’ll be an articulate and engaging storyteller to inspire donors to increase and diversity their support of UF.
You are passionate about your work and what it means. You’ll learn, study, and become an expert on Unstoppable Foundation’s programmatic work as well as become informed and articulate about our 5-pillar approach to sustainability.
Director of Development responsibilities include working with the CEO to meet UF’s annual revenue goals through—but not limited to—the following activities:
- Own UF’s annual operating budget of $5M.
- Cultivate, grow, solicit, and steward a portfolio of institutional donors and prospects.
- Cultivate, grow, solicit, and steward a portfolio of major gifts and annual fund donors.
- Manage an extended event team to promote a successful 10th Anniversary event.
- Create and implement proven fundraising strategies.
- Maintain and steward a foundation grants calendar.
- Oversee the management of the donor prospect list.
- Liaise with the Board of Trustees, including managing sub-committees, making Board presentations and attending Executive team meetings.
- Prepare and manage development department budgets.
- Manage a team of two internal Development staff and external consultants.
- Provide general support for all fundraising efforts within the Development Department as needed.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision, values, and programs of UF and the ability to convey that information
- Minimum bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 7-10 years professional experience in fundraising for a nonprofit organization
- Experience leading the planning and implementation of institutional donor cultivation including setting goals, implementing strategies, and delivering results
- Demonstrated track record of securing increased financial support from individual donors at all levels
- Knowledge of the corporate arena and understanding of corporate sponsorship activities
- Successful background writing foundation grants and fundraising proposals
- Ability to mine and use research and analytics creatively
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated strategic thinking
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Proven ability to exercise good and independent judgment and to act tactfully
- A strong track record of working collaboratively with an enthusiastic and committed team
- Willingness and ability to travel to donor meetings/events as needed
- Excellent attention to detail
- A positive, energetic personality that thrives in a supportive, mission-driven environment
- This is a full-time, exempt, professional management position offering health benefits and 2 weeks’ vacation
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Monday-Friday general business hours, occasional nights and weekends
- Travel: International travel once a year
- Los Angeles-based preferred
No phone calls please.